📅 Unit and Lesson Plans
The following has been automatically generated from the word document. Please download the original to get the proper formatting.
Whitwell Primary School WhitwellPrimarySchool
- Recognisethe movement of a mechanism within a toy or model
- Tounderstand that a cam will change rotary motion into linearmotion
- Understandthat different shaped cams produce different movements
- About therelationship between a cam and a follower
Investigatea collection of moving toys that contain a cam mechanism
Question Which parts turn? Which parts move? How are the different partsattached to allow free movement?
Look inmore detail at the moving part of the toy
- Tomeasure and mark accurately
- To usetools for cutting safely and effectively
- To use adrill to make an off centre hole in a wheel
Show amodel of a cam mechanism and allow them to put together the partsas a practice. Ask them to try out different shaped cams andobserve movement.
Make awobbly car using box and clothes pegs
Show howto drill a hole
Show howto attach dowelling through drilled hole and how to mount mechanisminto the cardboard box
Show howcardboard box can be used to house the cam etc.
Funnyshaped cams with a centre hole
Make arising toy
Finishoff or make a peg cam if others achieved
- Considerthe characteristics of the cam mechanism when designing the movingpart of the toy
- To testout their design ideas before proceeding
- To cutand join with accuracy to ensure a good-quality finish to theproduct
To testthe mechanisms ad make adjustments where necessary
Give taskof making a toy with a moving part, using a cam
Pairedwork brainstorm ideas for a toy for a particular person sketchtheir most effective idea
Modelideas in paper and card first to test
Plan andsequence events
- Toevaluate it personally and seek evaluation from others